JZX90 Oil Change 1JZGTE (Mark II, Chaser, Cresta)
Performing regular oil changes is one of the most important maintenance tasks you can do to keep your JZX90 Mark II, Chaser, or Cresta running smoothly. It helps to prevent engine wear, prolongs engine life and improves fuel efficiency. In this article, we will guide you through the process of doing an oil change on the 1JZGTE engine in a JZX90, and highlight some important tips for ensuring that the job is done right.
Tools you will need:
- Oil filter wrench
- Socket wrench
- Oil drain pan
- New oil filter
- New oil
- First, make sure that the engine is at operating temperature. This will help to ensure that the old oil flows out of the engine easily, and that you get an accurate measurement of the amount of new oil you need to add.
- Next, remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick. This will allow air to flow more freely and help the oil drain more efficiently.
- Locate the oil filter. It is located on the front of the engine, directly below the alternator. Use the oil filter wrench to loosen and remove it.
- Place the oil drain pan underneath the oil pan and remove the drain plug with the socket wrench. Allow the old oil to drain completely into the drain pan.
- Next, remove the old oil filter by twisting it off of its housing. Make sure to clean the housing with a clean rag and check to make sure that the seal on the housing is still intact.
- Using a clean rag, lubricate the new oil filter’s seal with fresh oil, and then carefully twist it onto the housing until it is hand-tight.
- Replace the oil drain plug, making sure it is properly tightened. Be careful not to cross-thread the plug.
- Add the new oil to the engine. Check your owner’s manual to determine the correct type and amount of oil to add. Use a funnel to help prevent spills. Pour about 3/4 of the oil into the engine and then use the dipstick to check the oil level. Add oil as needed until the oil level reaches the full mark on the dipstick.
- Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. This will help to circulate the new oil throughout the engine and ensure that the oil pressure light turns off.
- Turn off the engine and check the oil level one more time. Add more oil as needed to achieve the proper level.
- Dispose of the old oil properly. Take it to a local recycling center or an auto parts store that has an oil recycling program.
Tips and Precautions:
- Never attempt to change the oil while the engine is hot. The oil can cause serious burns if it comes into contact with skin.
- Use caution when removing the oil filter. The oil inside can be hot and cause burns if it spills onto the skin.
- Make sure to properly dispose of the used oil. Pouring it down the drain or throwing it in the trash is illegal and harmful to the environment.
- Check the oil level regularly between oil changes, and top off as needed. Driving with low oil can cause serious engine damage.
- Always use high-quality oil and filters, as recommended by the manufacturer. This will help to prolong engine life and ensure optimal performance.
Performing regular oil changes is critical to the health and longevity of your JZX90 Mark II, Chaser, or Cresta. By following the steps and tips outlined in this article, you can ensure that you change the oil properly, and help your engine perform at its best for many years to come.